Thursday, October 9, 2014

34 Weeks...80% Effaced, 3 cm Dilated

OMG! 34 weeks along. Can it really be? I am amazed, although I really think this could be the last week I'll be pregnant. My mucus plug came out on Tuesday (10/7) night around 6pm. Yesterday (Wednesday, 10/8) a little more came out. I didn't realize how much mucus a mucus plug could be. Once you've come "un-glued" it could be anytime within the next two weeks that you go into labor. I don't know if I'll make it to Monday.

I had a doctor's appointment today (10/9). My OB checked to see if I was dilated. I am 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. What does that mean?


- The 1st picture above shows the cervix is not doing anything. It's thick and tight - nothing's getting through. 
- The 2nd picture shows the cervix is fully effaced - bye bye cervix. It also shows dilation at 1 cm. 
- I am 80% effaced and 3 cm. Almost there!

Now, I haven't felt any regular contractions but I am paying close attention to any little sign. I am sitting and sleeping with a waterproof pad under me just in case my water breaks. When I was 37 weeks with Lily my water broke. At the appointment with my midwife, the night before, I was 1-2 cm dilated but was never told of the effacement percentage. I wonder how long it will be until I go into labor this time. My bag is packed for the hospital and plans are in place for Lily. Now it's just a waiting game and at 34 weeks along, these babies will do great!

A little thought about Lily

I am thinking a lot now about Lily and how the twins will affect her and me. We have a routine in the mornings that I'm sure will change. We won't have our alone time unless the babies are napping and even then, it won't be the same. I'm over the moon happy that we are growing our family by two, but I am a bit sad that my time with Lily will never again be what it is today.


No comments:

Post a Comment