Thursday, December 8, 2011

Baby Shower Surprise

So last week I listed that I was starting lamaze this past Sunday, turned out to be not true. Instead of lamaze, I had my Baby Shower.


This Baby Shower was not supposed to be a surprise. The date was set, or so I thought, for January 8th. I even got one of the invitations from my mom. The shower was set up to be at the Tea Pot in Bellmore and my mom and I were meeting my mother-in-law, Marlyn, there Sunday at 12:30 for a tasting to pick out the menu. After the tasting, Dan and I were going to start our first lamaze class at 2pm. Last Friday I even spoke with the lamaze instructor to confirm, only later to discover that she knew about the surprise, thanks to Dan who had to contact her to get the date changed and inform her to not tell me of the change but to confirm the original date. It was a well laid out plan. I didn't expect a thing.

Because we were "going to lamaze" after the "tasting" I needed to wear comfortable clothes. I had purchased a new pair of work out pants and a matching zip-up hoody the night before. Dan suggested I should wear regular clothes for the "tasting" and then change afterward. Not thinking anything of that comment, I decided to just be comfortable all day and wore the work out clothes.


When I walked in the door it took me a few seconds before realizing what was going on. At first I just thought the place was really busy, then I realized I knew everyone. Having a surprise like this definitely makes you emotional. I couldn't stop crying for a good ten minutes (or at least it seemed that long). How did I not know what was going on? I'm normally so good at figuring things out. I was so dumb to the fact that this was my baby shower that I turned to my mom and as I was crying said to her, "But I have lamaze at 2:00." Duh, no you don't!


So, once we got settled in to all different types of tea and yummy sandwiches, scones, and pastries, it was time to play some games. The first one was "Guess Janet's Belly Size" where yarn was passed around and everyone had to cut the length they thought would fit perfectly around my belly. Needless to say, there were a lot of people who thought I was bigger than a house!


Next up was "Finish the Nursery Rhyme" where everyone had to fill in the blank(s). There was some cheating going on with this one - Aunt Diane! lol.



Lily got a lot of great things. Here are a few things she got:

Sneaker socks and her very first pair of Levi's!

Bath Tub and the Diaper Genie II Elite

Bedding Set and the matching Crib Mobile

The Crib with attached Changing Table and a Britax Car Seat

The Snap-N-Go Stroller and the Graco Quattro Tour Stroller with matching Infant Car Seat

Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions (along w/ these I also got Pink Floyd & The Beatles)

Books (just an FYI: The Very Hungry Caterpillar was one of my favorites when I was little)

A beautiful figurine made by Willow Tree

Lily also got not one, but two clothes lines filled with very cute clothes

There is more but I don't have pictures of everything. Sorry.


Why did anyone ever invent the Ribbon and Bow Hat for showers? It is the most ridiculous thing ever. Thanks to my cousin Annie, my Baby Shower was not spared the humiliation. I tried looking up where the tradition of this began and came up with nothing. Some believe it is made for good luck and started in America. Who knows? All I know is that I made my sister Jackie where the Bow Hat at my Bridal Shower, but could not get out of wearing it here.

All in all it was a great day and a wonderful surprise. Thank you Mom and Marlyn for pulling it off without me knowing!






No comments:

Post a Comment