Thursday, May 16, 2013

16 Months


Lily is now 16 months old. She has grown so much, even from just a few months ago. She talks like crazy. Literally, like crazy! We don't understand a word she says but she does and I guess that's all that matters. Her favorite thing to do now is shake her head "no." It's always "no" at first. I don't mind though because that only means she is now deciding what she wants and doesn't want. That's a good thing - she's making choices.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. I'm gonna be totally real here for a second and talk about how I've been feeling for a while now. I don't mean this to be rude in any way. This is just how I feel and if I am wrong or anyone has anything to say about what I am about to write down here, then by all means let me know…

You hear it all the time: 
  • A friend gets a boyfriend so "I guess we're not seeing her anymore."
  • A friend gets married so "I guess we're not seeing her anymore."
  • A friend has a baby so "I guess we're not seeing her anymore."
I would just like to put it out there: Why aren't you seeing her anymore?

Is it because she really is ignoring you? Is it because she wants to spend every waking hour with her significant other or baby? Ok, sometimes, yes, that is the case. BUT, when, let's just say for argument's sake, your friend, who happens to be married with a baby, tries to hang out, even suggests days to do it a few weeks or even a month beforehand, and you don't even give that friend a reply until a couple of days before one of those days is about to occur and your answer is "no." Then you have the audacity to always email or text her - never an actual phone call - that you miss her and "we have to get together soon." What the hell is that about? Your friend with the husband and baby has done all but BEG you for a girls night or day, doesn't matter which because she is a Stay-At-Home-Mom and is ALWAYS free (for the most part), which she has told you time and time again to no avail because it's always "Oh I miss you. We need to get together. Let me know when you're free." Uh, DUH!!! I have said over and over again, "I am free all the time. You're the one who works, you tell me when you're free."

I can go on here but let me just end it with this. I am tired. I am tired of my so called friends who have dropped me because I got married. I am tired of my so called friends who have dropped me because I had a baby. I am tired of trying to make plans when those so called friends always either say "no," or cancel at the last minute. I am tired of reading emails and texts that say "I miss you. We need to see each other soon." I am tired of calling someone a friend who, in all honesty, really isn't anymore.

I hate that my life, the one I am so happily involved in, has made it impossible for me to keep the "friends" that I thought I had. A true friend would find the time. A true friend wouldn't always say, "I miss you" and then do nothing to remedy that. A true friend, no matter how busy life is, would make it a point to keep in touch, if not by hanging out, by a simple phone call or an actual email that we can go back and forth with that involves what's been going on in our lives. A true friend would NEVER ignore a desperate plea to have a girls night/day because a true friend would be concerned about why it was a "desperate plea" to begin with.

Am I done with my so called friends? I don't know. All I know is I was never the one who cancelled plans or said no to a day out. I was the one who suggested days and took the calls, texts, emails that said "no" to hanging out and "sorry but I have to cancel our plans."

For those friends who have actually been keeping in touch, I thank you.

If I get a response out of this then I will know who my real friends are. I will know that my friends actually read this blog. After all, it is a blog about what's going on in my life and you would think that a person who "really misses" me would be reading it.

Sorry. I think I'm finished discussing this topic. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a lighter note, in our Tuesday's Mommy and Me class, Lily went up to almost every kid to steal their name stickers to put on her own shirt. She had 6 stickers by the middle of class!


4 comments:

  1. I'll be your friend. :) (That would be creepy if you didn't know me.) I think one of the problems is that people assume you are too busy to hang out, or if you are willing to hang out that you would constantly be talking about your boyfriend/husband/kid. There may be jealousy at play here as well. They might wish they had what you have and therefore don't want to hear about it. (This is all speculation) I try to hang out with my friends with kids, mostly because those are the only friends I have. ;)

    Lily's a crazy chick, big fan. I can't wait till she is old enough to be corrupted by me. (Also creepy if we didn't know each other)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read this Cici! You could be right, but I would try to discuss other things besides Lily and Dan.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I do agree you completely, you know I'm your true friend, we have been through a lot of stuff together, good and bad but mostly good. I'm truly sorry I havent been around this past year, it's been difficult for me with my job, I was used to doing the dame thing for 8 years straight and then my comfy little world changed and then finding out I have these medical issues and you know I'm a horrible patient. It's been a lot to deal with,
    But I always read your blogs and need to focus on rejoining our friendship, sometimes I feel we are in different places in our lives, well obviously we are, but I want to be in your life and be in lily's life. . We can explore a lot of new adventures. And trust me I get a lot of the same thing, I miss you jazz from people I haven't seen in awhile. But a true friend will make time.
    This summer and hopefully I can do these driving lesson so I'm not such a bother on people, and I can be free to come and go at my own will. I will have my schedule for June soon so we can make a girls date night and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading April! I know that if anything important comes up, you are always there taking the time off from work to go (all the wedding stuff, baby shower, etc.). I know the retail world is a busy one and sometimes when you have a day off all you wanna do is relax in your pj's! And we do live very different lives now, but I can still take a Friday or Saturday night to have dinner, tea, desert, whatever, with a friend. I'll leave Lily at home with Dan!

      Delete