Thursday, October 6, 2011

Finding a Pediatrician


One important thing we need to do before Lily Emma is born is find a pediatrician. I decided to make an appointment with the pediatrician my siblings and I went to. I saw Dr. Cheruvanky for the first time at the age of twelve when I no longer wanted to go to the pediatrician I had since birth. He was a man and I no longer felt comfortable having a man examine me. From what I remember, Dr. Cheruvanky was extremely nice and knowledgeable. Since we liked her so much, my mother recommended her to my aunt to use for a pediatrician as well. I figured she should be our first choice for a doctor for Lily.


Our meet and greet was this past Monday. I thought it would be a good opportunity to discuss what we would have to do once Lily arrives and a good opportunity for Dan to meet the pediatrician to make sure he will be comfortable using her. Before the appointment my mother was adamant that Dr. Cheruvanky would remember who I am. I didn't really think so, especially since I don't have the same last name and it's been, like, sixteen years or so since I've seen her. When Dan and I walked into her office, she introduced herself and said it was nice meeting us. I asked, "You don't remember me, do you?" She looked at me more intently and said that I looked a little familiar but she couldn't place me. She asked if I used to be a patient of hers and I said yes. I told her my maiden name and right away she got so excited and said she does remember me. She asked how my mother was, and how my sisters were. I think my brother didn't really see her, but she did remember that there are four of us. She also has such a great memory that she remembered my two cousins that went to her, Anne and Thomas, and asked how they were. Dr. Cheruvanky is exactly how I remember her. A very nice and caring woman.

She asked who our obstetrician was and we told her we have a midwife and are doing a water birth at Nassau University Medical Center. She said that she "lived" there for four years and knows the pediatricians very well and that we will be in good hands. Dan told her that when we were thinking of a pediatrician for Lily, two doctors came to mind, her and Dan's old pediatrician. Since Dan's pediatrician is no longer alive, we decided to see her. Dr. Cheruvanky then asked Dan where he is from and who his pediatrician was. Once Dan said the doctor's name, she told us that she trained under him. Wow! Small world. This makes us even more pleased and excited to know that Lily will be in great hands when it comes to her medical needs.

Dan and I had a few questions for Dr. Cheruvanky.

  1. Will she come to the hospital to initially see Lily or does she wait till our first appointment with her? Even though she does have privileges at NUMC because of her four years there, she will wait to see Lily at her first appointment, unless there is an emergency.
  2. When will Lily's first appointment with her be? Two days after she is dismissed from the hospital.
  3. There is an option for Lily to get a Hepatitis B shot at the hospital. Does she recommend it? No. It is best to wait until Lily gains a little more weight and is stronger before any immunization is given.
  4. We don't want Lily to be injected with immunization shots all at once, or even two or three at a time. She agrees. She will spread out the shots by weeks or months.
OK, so she is on par with our thoughts and concerns. Love her! Dan does too.

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo glad you are using Dr. Cheruvanky and amazed that she remembered Anne and Thomas. She was great with them. You won't be disa pointed.

    ReplyDelete