Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pregnancy Weight = Shopping

As I get farther along in this pregnancy, I realize that I cannot do all the things I used to be able to do. We are all aware of Hurricane Irene touching down on Long Island as a tropical storm this past Sunday? Well, Monday was beautiful! Our power only went out for seconds at a time on Sunday, but Monday, it went out for a couple of hours while they fixed a down tree on some electrical wires by our apartment complex. When the power went out, I decided to sit outside and read. Then, I had an urge to sweep my stoop and walkway, clearing it of all the twigs, branches, and leaves. When I was done, Dan and I went to my parent's house. Sitting in their backyard, I had an urge once more, but this time it was to rake up all the leaves and branches. Big mistake! Within a couple of hours after I was done, I was so sore. I had trouble walking and my back was killing me. I came to the conclusion that I am either really out of shape or I just cannot do certain things while carrying a 9" baby inside of me. Yeah…9" head to toe (approximately). What's going to happen when this baby gets to 10"? 15"? 20"?
18 weeks pregnant
Instead of gaining my normal one pound this past week, I gained two. I know our baby will double in size this month, but I didn't realize I would gain double the weight. Kinda stupid of me, huh? Anyway, the weight can also be the problem for me getting sore after simple things. I'm not used to lugging around this much weight. I've always been thin. Even when I gained a few extra. I luckily distribute extra pounds throughout my body in a way that I don't particularly look like I need to lose weight, so I still look good…at least, I think so. But pregnancy weight is definitely different. All the weight is primarily in front of me, making me stand different, walk different, sit different. It's a lot to get used to.

Because of my pregnancy weight, I just ordered some new maternity clothes last night at Destination Maternity. They are having a sale of 40% off already marked down items. Can't beat that! So I ordered some fall tops and an awesome denim jacket. My denim jacket, which is a staple for me for the cooler months, does not fit anymore now that I gained weight so I am so excited that I found a replacement! Dan and I know the baby stuff we need will cost money, but I've already spent more than $300 on myself. I needed new bras and undies, new jeans, new tops, and my new fantastic denim jacket. I knew I would need pretty much a whole new wardrobe because of the pregnancy weight, but I don't think Dan was aware of what that meant. I already have 2 denim jeans and 1 corduroy pants. Last night I ordered 2 tunics, 2 long sleeve T-shirts, 1 cardigan, and 1 denim jacket. Dan hopes that I will be good with that for a while. I told him probably not since none of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit me and fall and winter are coming.
 
For the winter I will need to get a new coat, but for now, I'm waiting on that. I might not be as cold as I normally am with a huge tummy, so maybe I'll just need a thick sweater. We'll see how the fall goes.

BTW: I LOVE AUTUMN!!! I'm so happy that the weather is changing and it's getting cooler outside. I can't wait for the leaves to change to their burnt hues. I can't wait to smell the crispness of the air and earth. It's the most beautiful out of all the seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment